As an out-of-network insurance provider, Vitalis Counseling can provide you with what is called a “superbill.” This is a medical receipt which contains the information your insurance company needs to process it as a medical claim. You submit this receipt to your insurance company and, depending upon their out-of-network policies, you may receive some reimbursement for the visit. Vitalis Counseling understands that this can be intimidating and a hassle. Franklin is a company which files for you to help you receive maximum benefits. Currently, they are in beta and are not charging any fee for their services.
You can also submit your superbill to your insurance company for out-of-network benefits yourself. Steps for using Franklin and for doing it yourself follow below.
If you decide to use Franklin, start with their website:
If you decide to contact your insurance company yourself:
1. Call the customer service number on the back of your card.
2. Ask any of the following questions which apply:
- Do I have out-of-network mental health benefits?
- What is my OON (out-of-network) deductible? Have I met it?
- Are OON services by a licensed professional counselor (Kansas) or provisional licensed professional counselor (Missouri) covered?
- If I HAVE met my OON deductible, is there a percentage of costs which I am still responsible for at each visit?
- Is pre-approval required before obtaining OON services?
- Do you cover procedure code 90834
- If I have OON benefits, will I receive a full reimbursement or a percentage?